Monday, September 7, 2009

Desperately Seeking Independence







We live in a small town (our school system has a whopping 900 students in all). We only live 4 blocks from the elementary school. Still, it hasn't been easy to allow our 3rd grader the independence of riding his bike to school on his own yet. Last week we let him give it a try and he did great! After school he has to stay at the after-school program until a parent arrives to check him out. So once he's checked out he heads for the bike rack and rides his bike back home. It was a major step for Austin as well as Mommy...and Daddy laughed when he saw me take pictures of this landmark event. Even so, I have the photos and the memory and I'm compelled to share it with you also...

Karon

2 comments:

  1. I wish we were able to do that :( A downfall to city life! BTW, I would have taken pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I know just how you feel Karon, I finally let my 5th grader ride his to the park program this summer. It was soo hard to do. A couple times,I followed just to make sure he was following street signs and such. (yes, I did...LOL and no he wasn't ROFL!)
    So I do know how you felt..
    I didn't take pics either, what was I thinking!
    :O)

    ReplyDelete